Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Hand dryer or paper towels?

I'll start with an old favourite. Paper towels have been removed from all the toilets at my place of work, leaving no choice but to use the electric air dryer. This seemed like a denial of choice at first, but then I realised that having one or the other is preferable to having both, as they'll tie my employers to one energy stream instead of two. I guess paper towels can be made of recycled material, and can be recycled in turn, but it's questionable whether this actually happened here since the bins were for general refuse. Hand dryers use energy, but once they're in place they just need maintenance once a year ( I suppose) and no regular supply of consumable materials to refill them, and the manufacture / transport costs involved.

Still, I've seen people dry their hands on toilet paper and then stick them under the air dryer too. And I guess the real reason is to stop the animals who work here from stuffing them down the toilets, and blocking them.

Sigh. It's like trying to educate pork.

No comments: